Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Holiday Weekend/Work stuff

This morning I feel like Captain Prickard of Starspace command. I knew the change was coming, and I thought I was prepared for it, but it turns out I am still quite adverse to change. (Gee, I wonder where the boys get it from….)

My work station has been changed all around. I can live with the actual desk-layout change – it was changed at my suggestion, actually, to accommodate the other changes.
What I am finding most difficult to adjust to are the two screens – large, 20” flat screens – on my desk. Two screens! Why on earth does a person need two screens at their work station?!?
Then, to throw more chaos in to the mix, my telephones (yes, I have two of those, but that isn’t new) have been switched from the right hand side to the left hand side of my work area. I keep reaching in to the wrong direction every time one of the blasted lines beeps at me!
I had to poke around the front of my computer to even figure out how to turn the thing on. Felt like a total novice…

New assistant is working out well. It has been SO nice to be able to get so many of the little things done and taken care of. None of the tasks are difficult - they just take up time. It’s almost strange to have this little extra breathing space in my day now. I’m unnerved by this – I haven’t felt this is such a long time in the office. It sort of freaks me out.
She is a very serious girl… Boss and I are not quite sure how to take her. I guess it will take working at a trade show with her at the end of November to really be able to get a true feeling for her. It’s amazing how much a person can change/adjust their personalities when on display at a trade show; her first one will be at the end of November. She is a nice enough girl – and yes, she is still a girl in my opinion – she is just so darn quiet. We are not used to quiet…

We had a great holiday weekend. With weather like that, it would have been hard to not have one; sunny, warm days… not something we often experience in the middle of October. Saturday was a day of grocery shopping and cleaning up. We had Jazzy’s folks over for our wine-tasting event. It turns out California really isn’t all that great at making Savignion Blanc, but they do make a yummy Cabernet Savignion! I served all goat’s cheese with the white wine and then all sheep’s-milk cheese with the reds. Found some pretty good cheeses that way, too. Also learned that just because it’s called an ‘artisan’ cheese, and costs WAY more than all the others, doesn’t necessarily mean it will be the best tasting.
Sunday was ‘turkey’ day. I woke up bright and early and started getting things ready for baking. I’d made the dough the night before, so I just had to warm them enough for rolling. Then I was chopping, slicing, dicing, and preparing for a dinner for 10 people. I had the table all set, the kitchen all cleaned, the serving dishes and utensils all ready and the turkey was in the oven with lots of time to spare. Hubby and I even got a chance to sit and talk for about half an hour before our guest arrived. Dinner was great – but not enough turkey left over for my liking.
Yesterday was beautiful weather, and Dar called me and invited me out on her sail boat for the afternoon. I had planned on doing laundry and cleaning up my bedroom area, but the lure of the wind, sun and time on the water was far too strong for me… off I went. What a perfect way to end the busy weekend. I was so relaxed when I drove home yesterday afternoon; my neck and shoulders aren’t used to being so relaxed! Hubby took advantage of the sunshine and got the grass cut and then he and boys did all the yard-work preparation for winter. All deck items are stored, planters are away, etc.
I am so glad I was sailing instead of doing that!!

Today is Election Day here in Canada – make sure you get out and vote! I brought my election form with me this morning and will be voting on my way home tonight.

2 comments:

SIG said...

Not sharing photos of turkey dinner? ;)

Jori said...

lol - was so busy getting the rest of the dinner completed, I forgot to take a pic before Hubby carved the bird!