Thursday, August 30, 2007

I don't know why, but I am just feeling the need to get this section of the story over with. I am being very detailed with this, and I don't want to miss any points of what happened and when. It's almost like this will help to ease my mind or something...just get it out, and then be done. Either that, or it is because I gave myself until the school year begins again, and I know I won't be home after tomorrow afternoon.

Okay, so back to the story. The A-man was at Grandparents, and hubby and I started the ninety minute drive to xx hospital. We arrived there around 8 or 8:30, I would say. Maybe a bit earlier, but I'm pretty sure it was just after 8. Anyway, the emerg waiting room was packed. Once we were actually able to get a seat - we sat, and sat, and sat. S feel asleep with his head in my lap. Finally, at about 10:30 or so a youth worker person from the psychiatric unit came to see us. We had to wake S up so that she could talk to him. She asked a number of questions - and it was determined that this entire incident occurred because LB had been tormenting S out of the school, on the way to the bus, had then had pushed him in to the wall, called him names, etc. S's little feelings were very hurt when he got on the bus, and then another child on the bus started bugging him, and that is when he ran off the bus and tried to run in front of another one. The fact that S was sleeping when she first saw him deemed that he was not a "child in crisis", therefore they would not admit him. She explained to hubby and I that their pediatric psych unit only worked with children that were "in crisis" and once they were no longer in that state, they would be released. She told us that she could admit him, but she knew that in the morning the doctor would see him and simply release him. We were stunned. Sad as it was to admit, she told us that children in this state often do not receive help until they have actually caused self-harm. She said that it is a terrible cycle that tends to repeat more and more. Child in crisis, admitted, receives help, discharged, two weeks later... back in crisis, and admitted again. Talk about feeling helpless. So we went home. I guess we got back home some time around 1am.

In the morning I decided I was NOT going to be helpless - nor was my son. My first call was to the CAS person that had established our case file. I told her the results of our visits, provided a brief family history, etc., and she told me that she and her supervisor felt the police officer had jumped the gun a little bit in contacting them. She said that it was obvious from speaking with me that I was a very strong advocate for S, and as far as they were concerned there would be no need for any follow up from CAS. I was relieved, to say the least. I explained that the police officer felt S would receive help faster through their agency, and she told me, point blank "There are no services for children this age." However, that said, she did provide me with the telephone number of a doctor that wasn't too far from us, that specialized in children and adolecents. My next call was to this doctor's office. I was able to speak to the receiptionist. I told her about the incident, and what that I was hoping to self-refer my son, etc., etc. She took our information, told me she would talk to the doctor, and would be in touch. My next phone call was to the school to ask that they inform the A-man that we were home, S was safe, and he was to take the bus home, as he would normally. (I knew he would be very worried about his brother. I called around 10 am, but the message was not passed on to him until 3:20 pm.)

Next I called the police officer to let her know the details of the evening, and to let her know what CAS had determined. In a way I wanted to say "I told you so..." but what was the point? I'm pretty sure she figured it out. Next I asked how I could obtain a copy of the police report, and for information about the volunteer officer that was in the room when Ms. B lost it on poor wee S.

My next call was to the superintendent of the school. I was not able to speak with her directly, but I did have quite the conversation with her secretary about the lack of compassion and understanding that was running our fine school. She said she would bring these details to the attention of the superintendent.

Next, I called S's play therapist to fill her in on the previous day's events. We set up a couple of appointments for during the 5 days he would be out of school. Although I felt the suspension was ridiculous, she and I both felt that he was in a very fragile state, and staying home was probably the best thing for him at that time.

Eventually I had to face going in to work, and I did so. I am still not sure how I was able to put on my work face, and still get through the days. I know that the month of May was totally lost to me - I have very few memories that didn't involve this situation.

When I was home again, I started to prepare a letter to Ms. B to let her know my feeling on the entire event. I was very upset that LB was not going to be dealt with for his role in the entire incident, and I demanded that she apologize to S for her very inappropriate comments. When I gave her the letter, we exchanged some words, I was very upset (obviously) but she told me, point blank, that she would not apologize to S, that she meant what she said - "He does need to grow up" - and she actually appeared hurt that I would come in making such demands when she had done nothing but work with me for the entire school year. That did it for me. I was able to compose myself, and get back to a somewhat resonable state of mind, but any form of respect I had for that woman was shattered in to a million pieces. There is zero chance of that ever being repaired.

So, S completed his five days at home. He had a couple sessions of therapy in the home, and we could see his state of mind starting to go back to normal. As the time drew closer, he was really nervous about going back to school. He figured no one would like him anymore, and no one would be nice to him. I attended his re-entry meeting with Ms. B. Again, it was very hard to sit and be pleasant when I was so upset with her actions during the entire incident.

A few days later, I received a phone call from the school board psyciatrist to see if she could offer any services, or to suggest services for us to persue. The principal had not contacted her about the incident - which is what I first thought - the superintendent's secretary had told her about my phone call and felt that perhaps we were "a family in need" and could use information about what types of programs are out there. After a very lengthy conversation - well over an hour - she realized that if there was a course out there, I had already taken it, and if there was a waiting list to be on, I was on it. She knew the doctor that I had contacted, and told me she would contact him to see if S would be able to get in sooner - given the serverity of the incident. We were in to see the doctor by the beginning of June.

The doctor requested a meeting with a number of board members prior to the school year's end, but of course, the principal was unable to attend. The meeting was held about 2 weeks before the school year ended, with the hopes that his next year - Grade 6 - would be better. The doctor spent a great deal of time explaining what an anxiety disorder was, how ADHD affected learning, and how S's multiple LD's would affect him. They all seemed to take notes, take the recommendations to heart, and seemed willing to work with us for the next year. And, again, another school year saw zero results or improvements.

No comments: