Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Job Lists

On Friday morning, as we were preparing to head to the cottage for the weekend, I found myself very frustrated with the boys inability to see what needed to be done and doing it.
In fact, after a while of my trying to do certain things, and them just sitting around playing video games, I sort of lost it on them. Not LOST IT, just, well... got greatly annoyed and my voice indicated such.

"This isn't the first time we have gone to the cottage. This isn't the first time I have had to remind you to do this, this and this before we can leave," I fumed. I made sure Hubby packed the laptop in the front seat, and told the boys that I was going to compile a "TO DO" list for them to follow each and every time we are heading away for the weekend.

  • Beds made...
  • Garbage empty...
  • All dishes in dishwasher...
  • Dishwasher timer set...
  • Cat food stocked...
  • Litter cleaned...
  • Clean laundry away...
  • Clothes packed...
  • Pills packed...
This is not an extensive list, nor is it a difficult one for either of them. Yet, each and every time we are packing up, I find myself droning on and on making sure they have done what is necessary.
After I prepared the list - in a lovely excel spreadsheet complete with check box marks for each of them to ensure they have in fact completed the task - I told them that they would be responsible for making sure they complete the list during the day that we are leaving. This will give them an entire day to go through a do things that (I think) should be second nature by now.

While I was typing away on the laptop, and in the "Listing Making" mode (I am such an A-type personality, and I know it) I put together a day to day chores list for each of the boys. You know, tough, difficult chores like "take laundry downstairs" and "set the table for supper." I am such a mean mother, making my children work!!

S gets overwhelmed by a full week's list, so I made his chart in such a way that I can print up a daily sheet for him, and leave it on the table each morning. Again, none of the jobs are overly difficult or time consuming, but somethings - like gathering the items to recycle or for garbage day - are time sensitive.

Maybe I am just being too hard on them. Truly, though, I don't think so. When I was a teenager, out of all of my friends, my mom was the only one that worked full time. I was often required to ensure I got home right after school to either put the chicken/roast in the oven, or make sure the living rooms was vacuumed, or the bathrooms cleaned. It didn't hurt me - in fact, I think it set the path for me to actually know what needed to be done once I started living on my own.
I have tried to explain this to S - "I wouldn't be a good parent if I didn't teach you how to succeed on your own in the real world." But he doesn't buy it. He thinks I am just 'using him' to get work done. The A-man is much more receptive to helping with things around the house, but unfortunetely S is such a lazy sod, the A-man often feels like he has to do both shares of the work so that it is done, and I don't get upset.
The lists I prepared for them for this summer doesn't require any sharing of duties. I will know who didn't do what needed to be done, and will be able to deal with it at the time. And, again, none of them are tough - "water outside plants, take laundry downstairs, brush teeth" but they all seem to be things that are 'forgotten'.

S will be collecting more and more Mom bucks as the days go by. He will like that, for sure.

2 comments:

Grace Acres said...

I so do not think you are a mean mother. Bravo for making them lists and setting guidlines. That is what children need.

Jori said...

Thank you, Christina... I have always told my sons "Anyone can be a mother. It takes a "Mean Ole Mother" to make a Mom," but they don't get it.
Hopefully someday they will...