Friday, July 11, 2008

Doing chores

Yesterday I left 2 chores for each of the boys to do. S was required to water the flowerpots – two in the front, two in the back and the herbs on the deck. The A-man was required to dump the items that were in the wheel barrel in to one of the compost bins.
The second task was for both of them to use the wheel barrel to gather the maple tree clippings created when Hubby trimmed the front trees.
Not difficult jobs, right? Well, apparently S laminated “This is going to take an hour!!” and was giving the A-man a bit of grief about ‘having’ to do it. (I am thinking the watering of the flowers wasn’t the big deal.)

When I got home from work, the A-man was happy to inform me that once they got started, it took them a total of 20 minutes to go and gather up the trimmings from underneath all 8 maples that go along the front of the yard. S told me that it wasn’t really all that bad, once they got started.
When S told me that, I explained to him that I really appreciated their help and that by doing a couple of small jobs each day, a lot of things on my list would be eased. I think he understood that when I have less on my plate, I am able to actually go and do fun things with them.

Today’s chores – the A-man is to vacuum their TV room, making sure to move the dog’s kennel, and to move out the cat house and anything else that may be against walls and trapping dust bunnies. S has been asked to make sure the pool table and bench have been cleaned off, and all items that were on both are actually put away where they belong.
I only work until noon today, and after my haircut and dentist appointment, I am taking the boys to the beach with some friends. We have made plans with Jazzy’s family to go to the beach, and then the three of us (Hubby will be at work) are going to go over to their house for dinner afterwards.

Again, I need S to see that we are able to do some fun things once all of the jobs are done. I know the A-man understands that we aren’t being “slave drivers” by asking our children to help out around the house, but it’s going to take a bit of work – and patience – to have S ‘get it.’
We will get there…

No comments: