Sunday, July 6, 2008

End of holidays...

Why does time go so fast when on a break from the everyday?
Last week was probably one of the most productive breaks I have had in a while, and it was also one in which we did quite a bit of FUN things, too.

Hubby and I took the boys golfing on Wednesday. Neither of them have ever played before, and they both did really well. I knew both boys had a natural swing - they have joined me on the driving range a few times, and I was always blown away with how well they both could hit the ball. Frustrating, really, considering I am trying to learn this game, and don't seem to have a knack for it as of yet.
Thursday was a yard work day. Hubby and I picked up 3 yards of wood chips, and then S and I spent the afternoon removing weeds and laying the chips down in my badly-depleted garden pathways. Hubby and the A-man had a number of errands to run that afternoon, so they got out of the major slugging. I was very impressed with how hard S worked that afternoon. He was taking the weeds out to the compost bin whenever the bucket and/or wheel barrel was full, and he was also filling the barrel up with the chips from the trailer.
I would say that we got just over half of the pathways finished before I had to get showered and cleaned up to head off to my Pilates class, but I am very pleased with how the beds are looking. I spent a fair bit of time pulling out weeds from my greatly neglected gardens as I went along. Hopefully I will be able to continue in that vain later this week.

Friday we went back up to the cottage for the weekend. What beautiful weather! Cuz and her family came up for the weekend, and I would say a fun time was had by all until they got a not-so-nice phone call about my Aunt.
After they left, we were still able to enjoy the weather and the day, but I think all of us were a bit more subdued. Dad was able to take us for a small ride on the new boat, but then the engine started overheating so we quickly came back to the dock. I had prepared a cooler for a picnic, so we all just had the picnic on the dock. Our kids, plus 3 of their local friends quite liked being able to swim up and get another sandwich, or a slice of watermelon!
Later in the afternoon my mom and I went for a toot in the paddle boat, and then had a swim. I was amazed at how warm the water was. Hubby took me out in the small boat to give me a lesson on working the trolling motor, so then he and I spent about half an hour trying our luck at catching the big one. He caught a wee perch - we let it go - and none of the local fish were interested in my lure at all. (pout, pout, pout...)

I was the only one that left the cottage tonight. Since Hubby is on the afternoon shift tomorrow, and the weather was so perfect today, he decided he and the boys would come home late in the morning. My dad had his motorcyle at the cottage and thought he would do some work in the morning and then head back home, and that decided it for my Mom. I can't do that getting up at 5:30 to make it to work on time, so the dumb beagle and I got home around 10 tonight.

Back to work tomorrow - but I figure I will be having to take a day off in the next week or so. It doesn't sound like my Aunt is going to last much longer, I'm sad to say. I was planning on going to see her on Tuesday afternoon, but right now it's all up in the air. Really hard for the kids.

No comments: