Thursday, November 19, 2009

This and that

I have found that I enjoy the special alone time the A-man and I get to share when I am bringing him home from working on the school play set. He commented last week that he didn't know what he was going to do with himself once the semester is over, and I found myself wondering the same thing.

I know it's only a half an hour, but it is probably the best quality time we spend together. It's just he and I, no other distractions, and we just get a chance to talk. (S often talks with me in this manner, but I have to admit that the A-man and I haven't had done this as often.) It was during these drive times that I realized - really realized - how grown up and mature he has become. I find I'm quite fascinated in the young man that he now is.

During dinner tonight, Hubby and I were talking about our plan to cancel our family membership at the Y. S became very upset and wanted to know why we would do such a thing. I explained to him that I have invited both of them over the past number of months, and neither one of them have been interested in going, so it just didn’t make sense to continue to spend the money each month.
This is when S informed us that he and his friends had been talking about going to the Y near the highschool two or three nights a week, and he asked us to please not cancel his membership.

After supper S even went and pulled out his gym bag, checked to make sure his card was still in place, and called his one friend to start making some plans for next week. I truly hope that he starts to use the membership in this way; it is what I had talked about when we purchased the year family membership. And, since I will be going to the gym to pick him up, it would only make sense that I actually take a bit of time to use the place myself, right?

Here’s hoping.

The A-man and I attended our local community theatre group’s opening night this evening. The co-op student that is working with his Drama class was performing in the play, and the Drama teacher thought it would be a nice show of support to try and get a number of the Grade 11 students to attend. They filled the first two rows. The young man didn’t actually realize such a large group was there until the play was over, and then he was all embarrassed and nervous. It was a cast of 6 – 3 men and 3 ladies – and a comedy. It was actually very well done, and I was impressed with the quality of the production.

I'm going to encourage the A-man to consider getting involved with the theatre group for the Spring production. It would be great experience for him, and it would also give him a little bit more confidence. He really enjoys his time in Drama class, so it just makes sense that he look at how he can continue this enjoyment beyond school hours.

The young man that works with the A-man’s class seemed very pleased to have such an out-pouring of support. He was also very good in the role he played.  He has a lot of potential, I would say.

One more work day, and I’m going to make it a short one tomorrow. Have some house stuff to get done before the weekend begins, and it is always nice to tackle these things when no one else is in the house.

No comments: