Thursday, November 12, 2009

A better night

It would appear I am receiving “the silent treatment” from my youngest son. This, apparently, is what I get for punishment when I took away his television privileges the other day.


Now, to be fair, I am not getting the full treatment – he will answer a direct question, and even during supper last night he did offer a tidbit of conversation. But, for the most part, it would appear that I am persona non gratta right now. I think I will be able to handle it.

S worked on his Geography ISU last night for quite a while. He took his laptop into his bedroom though – I guess he didn’t want to risk my talking to him while he was working on it. After supper, he and the A-man got right down to business with getting the dishes taken care of, and he was even quick to jump in the shower when I asked.

Now, that said, when he got out of the shower I was quite amazed to see that his hair was completely dry even though he swore that he had washed it. He even accused me of “not believing him” for some strange reason. I don’t think he liked it when I admitted that I did not believe him and then told him that I would wash it over the sink. He wasn’t happy about it, but at least I now know that it is clean. I heard him muttering something about how I “never believe him” and I told him that trust is something that must be earned, and once he has actually proven himself to be trustworthy, I would be a little more willing to believe him. (See, he lost this trust the other night when I caught him in a bold-face lie. Even though I had the proof of his lie in my hot-little hands, he continued to look me in the eye and say, “Mom, I am telling the truth.”)

This is one thing about S that I don’t understand – his first instinct is to always tell a lie. I didn’t think this was typical of a child with Aspergers, but it certainly is typical of him. I can’t stand it.

The A-man worked diligently on his English essay and then went outside to do a little running around. Always amuses me to see him doing just that – running around, in no particular fashion, in the back yard. Sometimes he takes a long stick with him to “practice his sword play” but other times he just runs around randomly. At least he gets active.

Both boys went to bed with ease last night, so it was actually quite a quiet evening. Nice from the night prior.

Hubby should be home on Sunday, I think.  I'm looking forward to having some time with him - it feels like it has been a very long time since we have spent much time together.

2 comments:

cuz said...

just pondering...maybe the A man likes to run around cause the activity helps relieve the tourrettes symptoms.
As for getting the silent treatment...that particular torture really broke my heart...as if silence is a bad thing...hahaha.

Jori said...

Hmm... you may be right, Cuz. Never thought of that before, but now that you say that, it could be a Tourette release for sure. Not a tick, just a release. I'll have to ask him if he just feels "the urge" that he gets when he needs to tic.

Good call!

I think my silent treatment has been lifted. He's been talking up a storm to me since I got home. Nice to know he still 'needs' me for advise...