Friday, August 14, 2009

Have you ever really thought...

about how much "the Internet" can gather about us? I'm pretty sure we are all very much aware that our "IP" can be tracked, etc., etc., but when you actually sit down and consider the VAST amount of information that is available - well, it's just mind boggling.

So, where did this come from?
If you look here on my blog, on the right hand side of the screen, you will see a little box I've called "Who is visiting." When I found this little widget, I thought it would be an interesting way for me to see where readers are coming from. And it is - I can tell when Cuz has been on to catch up with us, and I can tell when my friend from out West has been to visit, too. Very handy tool, right?
Well, when I installed this thing, I didn't realize that you can go and watch "in real time" and this actually tells you if the person that landed on your site came direct or not. If they accessed you through a web-browser like google, it tells you what they searched for to find you. (Apparently my left vs right brain picture is a biggie... who knew?) It also tells you if they are using Internet Explorer... it's actually really quite creepy to think of how much personal information is shared the minute you put your computer online.

Another site that freaked me out - Pipl.com. (You pronounce it like "people") This is a "deep web" application. I was absolutely astounded when I typed my name into this application and found a link to my company's website and a photo of me that is featured on our site. Of course, there were a large number of women (and their details) listed on this site that weren't me, but it's still kinda creepy.
Try it out - put your name in and see if you can find yourself. (Hint, if you are on Facebook, put your 'full name' that you are using and see what it comes up with, too!)

Anyway - this has just really made me realize the importance of teaching our children about Internet safety, the importance of firewalls on home systems, and about being aware of what we are posting on websites.

Big Brother, indeed.

No comments: