Thursday, August 13, 2009

Assistive Technology Camp

S and I have been going to "Assistive Technology Camp" this week. It's not a 'camp' in the traditional sense, though. Each afternoon, from 1 until 4, we are in a classroom in the city close to home, learning about the various programs that are on S's school laptop.

Of course S is already very much aware of the programs, and has been properly trained on them, but this is more or less a refresher course for the new school year, and for me, it's a chance to actually learn about what the programs can do, and also to know how to help him use the programs to the full abilities.

On Monday I was thinking that the course was more or less set up for parents that don't really have a lot of computer experience, but over the past couple of days I have actually had a chance to learn a fair bit. Today is our last day - with some 'tests' and other things.

Of course, this is the first week that we have had any sort of summer weather, and since I'm on holidays, its been a bit hard to have to go inside for the afternoons, but I am coping. ;o)

Tomorrow afternoon I will have a golf lesson, then I am going to play 9 holes with a friend. In the evening, S will be having his very first date. How exciting for him! Too bad his mom and brother are going to be somewhere in the movie theatre with him...

Saturday I am leaving for the city for a 5 day conference. There are going to be about 12 people from the State flying in tomorrow afternoon, so I am thinking it's going to be a pretty good time. I'm hoping to have a chance to take a few of the ladies over to China town for a bit of looking around. I haven't been to that area of the city in over 25 years, and I've always thought it was pretty cool. I think we are going to have a fair bit of down time during the conference, so it will be kind of nice to do some exploring.

Oh - went in to our swimming pool for the first time last night. It was 80, so I figured I should be able to handle it. Of course, with the warm air, it did feel a bit chilly getting in, but once I was there, I was happy I'd made the 'plunge.'

Okay - off to check on "the girls" and see how many eggs we have so far today. We are up to about a full dozen each day now!

No comments: