Monday, June 15, 2009

What a weekend!

S is adjusting well to his leg brace/splint thing. Hopefully it's not too hot under the shorts...

On Friday, I went and picked up my niece so that my Mom could take her and the boys up to the cottage. It was a really full car, I tell ya! After they got away, I got to work in the veggie garden.

I'd bought a new net jacket that comes right over the head and zips up so that the flying pests can't get to your eyes, ears or neck. It works really well, but it does make seeing things a bit more difficult. The only part of my upper body that was sort of exposed was my hands, but at least I could see the pests and swat them before they bit into me.

Anyway - got the veggie garden weeded around the onions, lettuces, spinach and radishes. A couple of weekends ago I'd put in kohl rabi and swiss chard, so these little plantings aren't quite as established - this is where my visual impairment from the netting became a concern... I was able to get through it, though and get those rows cleaned up.

Next, I got to planting the things I'd picked up from the nursery. Yes, I know that is 'cheating' a wee bit, but I just didn't have the time to get everything in to ground early enough in the season! In went: one and a half rows of carrots, a row of peppers; green and yellow, cucumber plants - one English cuke and one 'regular' cuke, a zucchini plant and six tomato plants; two are beef steaks, one is a golden tomato, one is an heirloom variety, and then there are two of the grape-type tomatoes, too.

After I got the tomatoes planted and put the stakes in place, I got some herbs into the ground. These consisted of: two types of basil - regular and Thai, rosemary, parsley, and cilantro. I actually didn't use up all of the space I normally use for the veggie garden, but that is okay. We won't have fresh peas or beans this year, but it is what it is!

After playing in the dirt, I came in and showered and dressed for the pre-tournament cocktail party. I was almost an hour behind the time I'd planned on leaving, but I knew that I had to get the veggie garden completed while I was there. Strike while the iron's hot, and all that.

Saturday morning, I had to be at the golf course by 8am. Ugh - that is early. I had a really good time in the tournament. I can see how my game is improving, but I can also see how much more I have to improve! After the game ended, I came home to meet up with Hubby's sister. We sat on the deck and had a glass of wine and chatted. She's been going through "stuff" and needed an ear. We went off to the dinner that was associated with the tournament, and I ended up winning a season's ski pass that is worth about $800! Sweet.

Yesterday I went in to work for about an hour, then picked up groceries. When I got home, I cleaned up the kitchen and made myself a wonderful lunch of scallops and mushrooms on a salad. Then, I washed the windows in the kitchen, dinning room, living room and front foyer! The kitchen one was TERRIBLE! I think we will need some sort of protection from all the UV rays that are now able to get through the glass!

After this, I tackled the bar area and the TV room. MUCH better now, I must say. Nothing like having the place to yourself and being able to get so much done. Hubby got home around 6 and the boys around 8.30.

I love weekends....

2 comments:

SIG said...

Will u take photos of your garden? :)

And I do hate waiting in the emergency room for hours... I mean it is an "emergency" room! Hope he's much better.

Oh gosh, men are the worst sick patients around, let me tell ya that! My hubby is one! Like it's the end of the world. But he's much better behaved these days. Not such a whiner.

Jori said...

For sure I will take some pictures! I don't normally think of that for the veggies, but I will for sure this year!

Glad the A-man is better - what a grouch. S is being very good about his knee - thankfully!