Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This and that

Gee – started to write a post this morning and it was starting to sound all too familiar. As I was about to post it, I realized that I had already posted the information! I don’t even remember coming on here yesterday and typing about my day! (Talk about a brain gap…)

I got the bar area cleaned up last night, emptied both of the dishwashers, and finished the laundry. I even finished one book and started on another. I’m amazed at how quiet the house is though. Even though the boys spend their time downstairs in their TV room, they do still come out to chat, grab a snack, that sort of thing. It’s just a bit odd having no one but the cats to talk to. (And they don’t really have much to say during their ‘awake’ time!)

On Sunday before they left, the A-man came in and told us that there had been a raccoon by the hen house. We thought it odd that a raccoon would be out during the daylight hours, so Hubby and the A-man went out and put the chickens and pheasants back into the coop to ensure their safety. Now I’m afraid to leave the chickens out in the run when I go to work! It is supposed to rain for most of the day today, so I didn’t even bother opening it up for them this morning. Since I had been in the veggie garden yesterday, I wasn’t as concerned, though. I will probably let them out for a wee bit when I get home after work, though – if it’s not raining, that is.

On Thursday I took S to see the orthopedic surgeon for a follow up on his knee injury. The doctor was amazed at the laxity of S’s ligaments. He now has another smaller brace that he has to wear for at least a month any time he isn’t in the actual house. He also has to undergo some physio-therapy to help strengthen the upper thigh muscles, thereby helping with the ligaments. The doctor indicated that both of S’s knees are really lax, but the left knee was unbelievably so. He indicated that if S is good to do his therapy follow up, he shouldn’t have any problems. But, he could. If the knee popping out becomes a ‘norm’, S would have to have some surgery to correct it. Nice.
S has been really good about putting the brace on, but I know he doesn’t like it. I guess he didn’t like the pain of the injury more, though. Poor guy.

Talked to Hubby last night and he said it was incredible how quickly the kids came around to the cottage once they arrived. It is so nice that the kids have so many friends up there. Sometimes I feel really guilty that we moved them out to the country with no neighbouring children to play with, but given the boy’s history, I am not always 100% certain that would have been a good thing, either. Plus, with no one else around, our son’s have an incredible closeness that I’m not certain most brother’s share. When S and I got back from Ottawa, it was really heartwarming to see how happy the A-man was to see his brother. I got a small hug – S was embraced in a bear hug and swung around the driveway!
But, anytime the boys have wanted to get together with friends, I have always been more than willing to either drive them to their friend’s house, or even pick up the friend to bring them to ours; simply put, they don’t make plans with their friends. I think they both prefer to just hang out at home together.

Tonight I am going to go to an open mic night with Sammy and Hubby. It’s open to anyone that wants to get up and sing, and apparently it is quite a fun night, so I’m looking forward to it. Tonight just so happens that it is held at the restaurant where my assistant has a second job – and she will be working there. I’ll get to terrorize her for an entire day and night, lol. Nah, not really – she and I get along really well and I am going to miss her when she is gone.

Then, tomorrow night I will be going over to a friend’s for coffee. Having a pretty social time this week!

No comments: