Friday, June 12, 2009

Here, there and everywhere

Okay.... the past week.

First and foremost, I suppose, would be the injury S received the other day. Wednesday night I was cooking dinner; it was Thai inspired and I was really looking forward to it. Anyway, I digress...

I was just finishing the final steps to dinner, and suddenly I could hear S outside screaming. He'd been happily roller blading up and down the driveway for the better part of an hour. The A-man had gone outside about 10 minutes earlier, so I was thinking that S was screaming because his brother was doing something to bug him. (He does that every now and then.)
I looked out the dining room window and saw S on the ground on the driveway. The A-man was reaching down and pulling him off the driveway and on to the grass. To me it looked like he was really tormenting his brother, but I wasn't 100% sure.
The A-man can running in to the house and told me S was hurt. From the screaming going on out there, you would have thought S was being tortured rather than just injured. (He can be quite the drama queen...)

When I got out there, S told me that he was just blading when suddenly his left knee cap just shifted over to the side, and that is what caused him to fall. He was wailing pretty good, and I did my best to calm him down and get him to stop the screaming a bit. We got the roller blades off and brought him in to the house. After dinner, I looked at the two knees, but it was hard to tell if there was swelling. I had the A-man pull the crutches out from the crawlspace, and told S he could use those until the knee was feeling better.

Last night I decided that I should take S to the hospital to rule out any major injury. I had my doubts that they would be able to do much for an injured knee, but its always better to be safe with this type of thing. The down side to this is the 2 plus hours we have to sit in emerg...

Anyway, the doctor didn't seem to doubt that S's kneecap had shifted to the left. Apparently this can (and does) happen. Off he went for an x-ray to rule out any bone damage/injury. The x-ray didn't show any problems there, but the emerg doctor told S that he would need to wear a brace that would keep his leg straight (a position that causes S a great deal of pain) in order to allow the ligiments a chance to heal properly. Good thing I took him; I was going to allow him to keep it bent and stay off it, which is the worst thing you can do for an injured ligament.

I was given a business card for an orthepedic surgeon and told to give him a call and have a follow up appointment. Of course S doesn't require surgery, but it is this type of doctor that needs to do the necessary follow up for the type of injury S received.

We sat around for about another half hour, and then a lady came by with the splint thing that S needs to wear. She fit the device onto his leg - $75 for the thing - and gave me another business card for the doctor. It hurt S to straighten the leg initally, but once the splint was on, he was asked to try walking. He was very nervous about doing so; he doesn't have a very high pain tolerance threshold. But, with this metal bars in this thing, and the tightness around his leg, it provides just enough support that he is able to stand on his leg with little to no pain.

S, did however, ask me if he would be able to use the crutches for one more day at school. I remember the 'thrill' of using crutches for the first time, so I told him that he could take them.

So, that is what is happening with my wee man. Poor guy... but, I will admit, once the splint was on, his face did show some sign of relief, so at least he isn't in pain anymore. Well, he is still hurting, but at least it's a 'healing' hurt.

~~~
Last weekend the A-man was sick. I am SO glad this boy doesn't fall ill very often; what a grouch!
From the way he was acting, you would think he was the only person in the WORLD to have ever experienced a sinus cold.

On Monday, I could tell that he still wasn't feeling well, so I told him to just stay in bed and take it easy for the day. He had commented on Sunday evening that he had a test in Religion class, so when I called the school about his absence, I also requested that the Religion teacher give me a acll so that I could explain the A-man being away.

The teacher didn't call me back until Wednesday, and when I explained why I had been calling, he told me that he didn't doubt the A-man's absence. He then proceeded to tell me that he couldn't believe that the A-man was the same student he had last year. He went on to tell me that the A-man is sitting with a 98% in the class and he is amazed at what one year did to my boy. (Proud Mommy moment here...)

Thankfully whatever illness that had befalled the grouch is now all but gone, and my happy, sunny dispositioned son has returned.

Hubby will be working this evening - first full week all year - and the boys are off to the cottage with my mom tonight. Hubby and my Dad will be taking their motorcycles to the cottage in the morning to give Hubs a bit more drive-time practise, and I will be participating in a charity golf tournament. Hubby's sister will be coming to visit in the afternoon, then will be coming to the dinner/dance afterward. Should be a nice day, and will be very odd for me to have the entire house to myself for the weekend. (Sort of looking forward to it, I will admit.)

Next week will be a busy one. S and I will be off to Ottawa for three days, and when I get home, Cuz and friends will be in the area! My cousin - Cuz's husband - has just been released from the hospital from his stem cell transplant, so hopefully he will be feeling pretty good. If he's not, he will push himself for that weekend, so we are keeping our fingers crossed that he really is feeling okay.

So, that is my most recent update!

No comments: