Friday, November 21, 2008

The light is dawning

On Monday night, I asked the A-man if he project partner had been able to establish some work together time. Apparently not.
I then informed the A-man that he was going to have to do this project on his own, and I also asked that he pick a place and get started on the information as soon as possible as two weeks had already passed, and the report would be due before he knew it.

That night, he spent quite a bit of time doing research. He had decided to do his Tourism report on the capital of Lithuania. We had been invited over for a traditional Lithuanian meal on Saturday night in honour of our friend's father. (He'd passed away last week.) The A-man was thrilled to hear what we would be eating - it involves a lot of potatoes and bacon.
Since that meal was fresh in his mind, and we had seen these friends twice over the weekend (they took pity on us for not having power and fed us again on Sunday night...), I guess he just thought it would make sense to learn more about their culture. I love this kid.

On Tuesday morning, I woke up early because I was stewing about some work issues. After I dealt with the issues at hand, I took a look at the information provided by the A-man's teacher, and formulated a sheet that he would be able to utilize for information gathering. After I had completed this, I showed it to him, and explained that by putting all of the information directly into a Word document, he would then be able to do some cut and paste of the information and create both his hand in report and his PowerPoint presentation that he is required to do.
I'm not totally certain he understood what I meant, but when he realized this was the format I often follow at work for large presentations, he seemed to think it wasn't too bad an idea.
As he has been doing his research this week, and putting the information in to the document, I can see that he is understanding what I meant more and more.

I am away at a trade show this weekend, but have encouraged the A-man to complete all of the research this weekend, and then I will help him arrange the information for the written portion during the coming week. The written portion is required by Friday and then he will present to the class on December 3.
The presentation portion is required to be 30 minutes long, and this is where the PowerPoint will come in to play. He is also going to have to prepare this Lithuanian dish at least once this week so that we can take pictures of him making it. These will be used in the written information AND the PowerPoint portion. He will then also have to make the dish the night before his presentation because he will have to serve it to the class.
There is a lot of work to be done, and I think he is starting to understand why I was becoming concerned. I'm sure he will do great on the final information gathering - he's been very interested in the country since he started the research and has been very intent on telling me what he has learned.

I have a few things going on this week, and my hope is that he will be able to complete the written portion with very little assistance, and then next weekend I can help him with his slide show details.

S has been really good at working on his homework every single night, this week. Since I have taken the television from them on school nights, I have been amazed at how quickly he is willing to do whatever chores are asked of him when they are asked. He's not as resistant to doing his homework, either, and now starting to realize that on occassion, I will relax the rule and let them take in one show after all the other things are done.
Got an IM from my mother in law this morning telling me that she had a great night with S last night and that he left for school in great spirits. Always like to hear that.

Been doing some work here in the hotel room. Found out yesterday (as I was trying to do hotel check in) that some advertising material was required today for some ads I placed for a client. Great. Have been trying to get in touch with the magazine people to confirm ad size, and also with our graphics department to confirm information can be uploaded today. Have not had success as quickly as I had hoped for, but I think I might be getting there, now. Need to get out of here so housekeeping can do their job...

Also hoping to be able to get in an hour or two of Christmas shopping before I have to be at the show!

No comments: