Sunday, November 9, 2008

General "stuff"

I haven't been blogging much as of late - just been go-go-go lately.

I had a few other 'general' items that I wanted to post the other day, but after the severity of the post about the young man that passed away, I thought it best to just comment on that. Turns out they feel he became disoriented in the bush, and eventually feel asleep due to exhaustion and passed away as a result of hypothermia. I am so very grateful that he wasn't harmed in any way, but my heart just breaks when I imagine how scared and upset he must have been in the hours before he fell asleep. His parents and sisters will never get over this tragic loss, but I hope their faith gives them some peace after they lay him to rest. So tragic.

Hubby surprised me yesterday by coming home a day early from the Hunt Camp. I wasn't home when he arrived - was on the go all day yesterday - but it was nice having some together time this morning before I have to rush off again.

OH!! The A-man brought home a very nice certificate a while back - it's congratulating him for making the Honour Roll! I told him we would get a frame to put it in. He was very proud of that paper, I must say.
We will be getting his mid-term marks soon. I gather he has been able to improve his Science mark since I met with the teacher, and I know he will be doing all that he can to ensure this increase continues.

S (knocking wood here) has been having a pretty good time at school as of late.
The other night he and I sat at the kitchen table working on his math homework. At first he told me that he didn't need help, but when I wandered in to the kitchen to get a cup of tea, I could tell that he was really not sure what he was supposed to do, or simply just didn't understand the assignment. He actually had two work sheets - one on square roots another on lowest common denominators.
I had him explain what he knew about these 2 concepts so that I could assess what he "got" from the day's lesson. The thing is, he knows this stuff, and he can SEE the answer, but he can't explain how he knows the answer. Sometimes the question requires the work to be shown... Very frustrating for him because when I ask him, "How do you know that?" he gets upset and says, "Well, isn't that the answer? Why do I have to explain it?!"
He's right - when was the last time someone in your job asked you to explain how you knew that any number between 25 and 36 would have a square root between 5 and 6?
Regardless, I was very proud of him when he took more than an hour to complete the homework and he didn't complain one single time. He was actually very proud of himself when he finally 'got' what the sheet was asking for.
I love seeing that "A-HA" moment on his wee face! It's very exciting for me to see that I can explain it in such a way that he then knows what is being asked of him.

I'm off again today. Going to a fundraiser event for a friend's precision skating team. Should be a nice day out with a group of ladies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess being so busy you've not heard the final word on the young boy...corner's report was realeased and it seems that he suffered a trauma to the chest, being that he was found beside a tree in the cornfield the latest word is that he fell from the tree sustaining the injury. the presumption I heard on the news report is that he got lost in the corn and probably climbed the tree to get his bearings...in any event it is all so sad and I'm sure his parents are feeling a degree of guilt (not warranted IMO) for disciplining him. Tragic.

Jori said...

I did hear the report on the news today. He will receive a full mass funeral on Friday morning, and I am sure it will be a very full church.
I also agree that his parents are probably feeling guilty, and I also agree that they should not need to feel said guilt. They did what they did BECAUSE they loved him and it just turned out that an every day event that happens in household world-wide turned into something tragic for them. But, gratefully, they can now put him to rest, and the nightmare of not knowing has now ended for them.