Friday, September 25, 2009

See - Mom's do know things!

I called the school on Wednesday morning and left a message for three of the A-man’s teachers to call me. I want to talk to them about how he has been doing so far, and to ensure that they are aware of his current IEP accommodations.

As of yesterday afternoon (ie. Thursday) I have received a total of one return phone call. From the Math teacher - I’ve still not heard from the English nor Religion teachers. Very nice.

I asked the Math teacher how the A-man was doing in his class, and he told me that he is doing exceptionally well. He then commented that the A-man is doing so well that he thought maybe he should be moved up to the University stream course. I then asked about this whole ‘mixed’ class concept. I explained that the A-man was told that this mixed course would still allow him to follow the University stream, but I wasn’t convinced that was the case. He told me that yes, the mixed course would allow for University stream, but it does not allow for other Grade 12 Maths, such as Calculus and Functions/Relations; for those, there is a Grade 11 University stream requirement.

When I explained to the teacher that the A-man has aspirations to actually become a high school Math teacher, he went on to explain that the other Grad12 Maths would be requirements. So, even if the A-man completes the combined course, and does well at it, he would still have to take the Grade 11 University-stream course to be able to take the courses he would need for the career path he wants to pursue. He then asked me if I wanted to talk to the A-man about his options. I suggested that perhaps the A-man would be more receptive to having this information coming directly from his Math teacher than from his Mom. See, apparently Mom’s don’t really know about these things…

The teacher completely understood and said that he would pull the A-man from class today and have a discussion about his options. If the A-man decides to move up to the next level, it will cause a shuffle in his timetable as he probably wouldn’t be able to pick up the University stream class in the current slot he has for the mixed class. I don’t really want him to have a spare, so I am hoping that if he does move ahead with this (fingers crossed!) that there is something available for him to move in to.

What a mess – I just wish I had realized what Math course he was opting in for last Spring when he completed the course selection materials, because I would have done my ‘darndest’ to convince him otherwise, and I would have insisted on a meeting with Guidance to ensure he was making viable choices. Now we are looking at a full schedule shift three weeks in to the semester. Lovely.

I will be very curious to see how the A-man brings this subject up to me tonight – or even if he does. I’m hoping the Math teacher will give me a call this afternoon to let me know how the discussion went.

No comments: