Thursday, September 17, 2009

More teacher training required

Sometimes I still find myself surprised at how grown up and mature the A-man has become.
Cuz made a comment the other day about how we won't be able to refer to them as "boys" much longer as they are truly becoming young men, and it made me realize that time has passed FAR too quickly. (Well, except for those times when they were not behaving - then time just seemed to stand still for a while!)

The A-man had a Religion ISU due on Tuesday - it was one where they had to "create their own Religion" and it just astounded me at how he was able to complete the project, with all the necessary requirements, yet still incorporate his own little mark of humour into the entire thing. And the funny thing is that his brand of humour is very, very dry - one that some people may not even realize is an intentional 'funny.'
Example - his 'religion' was called Redneckism, and this religion's symbol (rather than a cross) was a dirty hoe. (He even took an old hoe from my garden tools to use for his presentation.) The 'church service' required that every Wednesday night they go to a trailer park to watch NASCAR, and everyone over the age of 12 is required to drink beer.
Okay - maybe not "roll-on-the-floor-laughing" funny, but still humorous when you know how quiet the A-man is. Maybe that is what makes it even MORE funny? If he was more 'out there' like S and I are it probably wouldn't be so amusing.
He really does have his father's sense of humour.

I've been emailing S's SERT a fair bit over the past couple of days.
I realized the other night that he has an antiquated version of Dragon Naturally Speaking on his system, and it doesn't do well catching his voice. About 90% of what he said was typed up incorrectly. No wonder he gets frustrated with the system and refuses to use it.
I've requested an updated version, so we will see what happens there.

With respect to Science, apparently the teacher isn't using a textbook this year. He's been giving the class a notebook of the information. I have now requested that he provide the entire notebook to S so that he can scan it into his computer.
I explained to the SERT that having it on his computer will allow him to make MP3 files to assist him with studying, plus it will ensure that he can't 'forget' his information when it comes time to do homework - he always has his laptop at home.
I also pointed out that S is prone to misplacing loose leaf pages and that it would make more sense to have everything all stored electronically in one place.
I don't CARE if there is an EA in the classroom - he needs to have the information readily available to him - in a format that can be READ to him even when someone isn't there to assist with it.

Time to train the teachers again. And I don't really care for this Science teacher, so I am going to have to keep my cool...

No comments: