Thursday, March 26, 2009

Continuing saga

How has a week passed since I did my last post? I swear the clock is on "fast forward" right now.

Okay - back to the S story.

We were at the Thursday before March Break and he had his Graduation pictures taken that day. He had his new shirt and tie for the photos and was feeling pretty good about looking so grown up. I could tell he was excited.

Anyway, at the end of the school day, I get a phone call about him being agitated about something. He was so agitated that they didn't feel it was wise for him to take the bus home. I went and got him and when I got there, I had a brief chat with the EA.

She told me that she has noticed he seems to be quite anxious about the start of high school next year, and she was wondering if as the days go by, he is just starting to express this anxiety by acting out.
Hmm.

As S and I drove home that afternoon, I told him that I thought he should just not bother going to school the next day. The whole day is pretty much a write-off; both kids and teachers are already in 'holiday' mode, so what was the point? He told me that he wanted to go because it was 'twin day' and he and his friend had made plans to be twins with their outfits. I told him it was up to him, but if he did go, I would expect him to have a good day. Period.

That night we went to the Y and did our normal evening stuff, and about half an hour before bed, S asked me if my offer was still open. I told him yes. He decided that he would stay home.

Everything went pretty good through the March break. S was invited over to his friends for a sleep over one night - his friend also has Aspergers - and that was the afternoon Hubby and friend went out on the ATV. The A-man joined them in the afternoon, but I guess he didn't quite like the "getting stuck and pulling out using the whinch" part of Spring riding; he opted to stay home when they went out the second time that day.
Another day Hubby took the boys to the Sportsman show. It sounds like they all had a good time. On the weekend, S had his friend over to our house for a sleep over.

So far - touch wood - this week has been fine for S. I think he has resigned himself to the fact that I WILL be going on the end of year trip, but he really wants to be able to share a room with a friend. I'm not sure the 'friend' feels the same way anymore.

I have been in touch with the SERT about the transition meeting for S. She basically has to explain S's history to the SERT at the highschool, and make recommendations for him - such as his special transportation and his EA.
Oh, you bet I will be at that meeting. My records binder isn't quite up to snuff, but at least I have a few weeks to get it whipped back in to shape. If they want him to continue on a successful path, these items are required.

And the battles continue.

On a different note, the A-man is going to stay in town tonight so that he can go to the dance at the high school. Next weekend is his 16th birthday. I'm thinking of getting a few of his friends to come over on Saturday for dinner and a wee party. It'll sort of be a 'reverse' surprise party - one where he is surprised by the people that are arriving! Hopefully I can pull it off.

No comments: