Friday, October 2, 2009

Guidance appointment

Well, I went to the school today to find out a little bit more about the courses that the A-man has selected. Turns out he actually requires 30 course credits for graduation, and he will actually earn both credits for the math courses he wants to take this year. This was one of the main things I wanted to clarify before agreeing to this concept.

So, as of right now, he has 16 credits, and at the end of this school year - assuming he passes all of the courses!! - he will have 24 in total. So to graduate, he will only have to take 6 courses next year, but I will know I will encourage him to take 8 just to keep him in the full-school groove.

I asked about the difference between this mixed math course and the Uni course, and the guidance councillor explained that some of the concepts will be review for him next semester, but a few of the things - such as triginomitry - will be more indepth, so his whole thought process of getting a better grasp this semester isn't really all that far fetched. I'm wondering if this is something his teacher said to him because the councillor said that the teacher thought this would be a good move for the A-man.
No matter. I have given my approval for this course change, and he won't be taking a computer course next semester. Next semester he will have Math, Philosophy, Phys Ed and Hospitality. Again, a nice mixture of classes - not a heavy course load nor a light one.

Got a few more details about the philosophy course, and it does sound like something he would enjoy - it will give him an opportunity to stretch his debating skills even more. Lord knows how that boy loves to debate an issue.

Hubby and I will have to have a conversation with the A-man this weekend, though. I found out that he doesn't think he will join the outdoors club this year "because it costs $85 and if S joins, that would cost $170 and I don't want to cost you and Dad any more during this recession." Pardon me?! I tried - quickly - to explain that didn't matter, but this conversation was happening just before we met with the councillor.
What a guy... we have never made him feel like money is a major deciding factor in much of his life, and I don't want him to NOT do things, or ask about things, because he doesn't want us to spend money on him.
He didn't bring his Drama photo prints home, either, I found out. I'm going to assume it's because it 'costs' so now I've called the photographer to see if I can order them even though it was all due today!

Ahh - what a boy! How many parents can say, "My son won't let me spend money on him!"??

No comments: