Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Good news/bad news

I was all set to prepare a "Proud Mommy" post, and then I got the phone call from the school.

I don't wanna be me right now. I'm tired of it, and I wanna quit.

But before I start bemoaning the world, I will share my proud mommy moment. Maybe that will ease the ache in my belly right now.

This morning I was a little late getting up, and realized that the A-man wasn't up and ready for school yet. He had about 15 minutes before the bus would be arriving. As he quickly got ready, he asked me if he could please have $5 to pick up lunch at school. I asked him if he could just go over to my parent's for lunch since neither of us would have a chance to get his lunch made.

He explained to me that he couldn't go out of the school today because R&M were away on a field trip today, so he had to help D carry his tray at lunch. I have never heard of this boy before, so I wondered what he was talking about.

Turns out D is a boy in the A-man's grade that uses a walker. The A-man and his cousin and girlfriend always make sure at least one of them are around during lunch to help this boy gather his lunch tray and carry it to the table for him. How sweet is that? He knew that the girls would be away, so he wanted to make sure he would be there to provide assistance to the boy with the walker.

Such a fine young man, I have there. Even had his Math teacher/Rugby coach tell me this on Friday when I was picking him up after his game. The teacher and I had exchanged a few pleasantries while I was waiting for the A-man to come back from the change room. When the A-man came out, the teacher then commented that he hadn't realized I was the A-man's mom. He then proceeded to tell me that he and the other coach were just talking about how the A-man was such a good student, and a delight to have in class. I guess they are both quite pleased with his efforts on the rugby team, too.

I just felt like beaming. When we got in the car, I told the A-man how proud I was of him and that I was so happy he was doing so well in high school.

Fast forward to early this afternoon, and the phone call I received from S's principal.

S got into a disagreement with a fellow student about where to stand. Apparently the other student was in S's "spot" and felt the need to try to forcibly move the other boy. When the boy didn't comply, S bit the boy - through his sweater - and left an impression on his shoulder. He then proceeded to scratch another student - again leaving marks.

This is getting beyond ridiculous. I'm going to have to start S seeing his phyciatrist again, I guess. End result - he will stay in the office today and all day tomorrow, and he is not welcome at the school on Thursday since the principal will be away that day. S will return to school on Friday, I guess.

I questioned about S not having full time EA support - apparently he hasn't had full support all ths year. I asked if he would be able to get 'emergency' support for the remaining 6 weeks; it doesn't seem likely.

I'm going to have to get on a campaign with some of the higher ups, I guess. Great. Just at a time in the office when my 'personal' time is being reviewed and I really can't spare any time away.

Like I said, I wanna quit being me right now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

working as an educational assistant I understand your frustration..just wanted you to know that someone is thinking about you and your situation:) hang in there! its almost summer

cuz said...

the little guy is really having trouble getting by the big change ahead of him to be acting out so...he was having such a successful year up to the past couple of months. I think you're right that a trip to the dr. is warranted. He definetly needs some extra support just now, don't want the stresses carrying over to next school year.