Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Coop finished!

Well, we worked until late in to the night last night, but we got the chicken coop done! I was the lucky person that got to catch the chickens from their brooding pen, and Hubby placed them in the boxes for transport to the new homes. They were softer than I imagined, and lighter than they looked.

“The girls” weren’t very happy about my hands coming at them, but not one tried to peck me! A couple squawked pretty good when I finally got hold of them, but for the most part they were pretty docile. The next step was introducing them to their new home.

As a family – me carrying one box, Hubby with the second – we all trudged back to the newly finished coop. We went inside, and opened the boxes. The girls were all huddled together, but all were quiet. The boys each helped empty a box. The A-man was quite hesitant about trying to pick them up, but after he got a couple done, he was better. S just wanted to keep holding them. I don’t think the chickens would have liked that much.

We stood and watched them poke around their new home for a little while, and then before we went to bed, Hubby and I went to make sure they had adjusted. All of the girls were cuddled together and sleeping when we went back, so I guess they were feeling comfortable. I’m a little worried that we may have put their roosts up a bit too high for them, but maybe after they grow a bit more they will be able to get up there. Hubby still has to finish the ventilation areas, but at least they are all in and comfy cozy with lots of new space for them to run around.

This morning I went and picked up the pheasants. They are the tiniest little things I have ever seen! I couldn’t believe how small the box was that they came in. Anyway, I had adjusted the brooding pen to fit such little beings by blocking off half of it. I put them under their little heat lamp, made sure they knew where the water was before I had to leave for work. I took a few pictures of them and will post them up as soon as I have a chance. S will be thrilled to have a chance to see these little creatures. They are so little they don’t realize they shouldn’t want to be picked up yet. They just cuddle down into your hand and maybe let out a little “cheep” every now and then. We are going to have a blast watching these ones grow!

No comments: