Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sneaky Mom

Over last weekend, I came up with a new strategy to help me ensure that the boys continue on the path of helping keep the kitchen clean.
Lately I have been finding dishes put away from the dishwasher that aren't actually clean - most of the time it is because the dish wasn't rinsed properly. I've also noticed that both boys are terrible at putting dirty dishes on the counter above the dishwasher rather than IN the dishwasher. Drives me crazy.

So, new rule for 2009. If I find a dirty dish that has been put away, the dish goes in to the sink to be hand washed. If I find dishes laying around the kitchen, on the counter or on the table, it goes in to the sink. Any and all dishes that are in the sink must be hand washed, dried and put away before bed time each night.
This morning when I left for work there were a number of peanut-butter covered knives, a few drinking glasses and one other dish in the sink. When I got home from work, the sink was empty and the dishwasher was running. I know the hand washing did not get done - the dishes got put in the dishwasher. I made a comment about this fact - they both feigned ignorance about what I was talking about.
No matter - the dishes were not laying around anymore.

;o)

No comments: