Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Growing up

The other day I did something I didn't ever think I would be able to do.

The boys and I went to the new family Y to try out the facilities. The boys went swimming while I went to a Yoga class. After Yoga, I saw the boys having a fun time playing badminton. I watched for a while. Shortly after I starting watching, a group of girls - probably aged 10 or 11 - came in to play. My boys invited them to join in.

The A-man actually took the time to show some of the girls the finer of hit the birdie. Eventually the boys saw that I was watching them and assumed that it was time to go. They knew that I need to pick up a few things at the grocery store so figured I would want to head out.
I caught the A-man's attention and told him to come to the door. When he did, I asked if they would like to stay while I went shopping. He said they were just starting a game and would really like to stay behind.

I let them. I actually left the building and went to do what I needed to do. I left them unattended at the family Y for almost 45 minutes.
That may not be a big deal to you, but for me, that was huge. I just never quite know what to expect from S when we are in a new situation, but it went fine. In fact, he wanted to go back again last night.

(I'm starting to get a head cold and begged of exercise last night, so we didn't go, but I'm hoping we can have a repeat tonight.)

My ADHD boys are growing up. They are starting to be much more consistent and reliable. Both of them! (See, the A-man has been really good for the better part of two years, but it's been a hit and miss with S.)

Wow. It's finally paying off!

No comments: